Are you a creative person, living or working in Bulwell and are aged between 16-21? Then we want to hear from you!
Do you want to use your creative skills to help build a better community?
The Bulwell Arts Festival runs annually for one week at the start of July.
Leading up to the Festival week we work on a collaborative schools project in Partnership with all our local primary schools and secondary school. This year we will be focusing on delivering an online festival sharing all that’s exciting about Bulwell from Saturday 3rd-10th July.
The last few years we have supported City Arts in creating a carnival programme that takes place in the Bulwell Market place at the start of the Bulwell Arts Week.
This year, due to the pandemic, we are not able to create a carnival programme in the style that we have done to date. With a little rethink of what the carnival could look like this year, Cantrell School will be leading on a project called ‘Bulwell Blossoms – ‘The Krewe of Schools Project’.
This will involve:
- Each school working with an Artist to create an Art installation at their school, visible from the street, with children from every class submitting work around a re-growth theme. Flowers and nature.
Bulwell Arts Festival are thrilled to be able to offer two commissions of £375 for you to create a project that considers young people’s experience of the Arts Festival through the Bulwell Blossoms Schools project.
Project Time line
- Artist call out 18th May
- Application Deadline 28th May
- Successful Artists Notified 7th June
- Project developed and completed by 2nd July 2021
We are looking for:
- A project that can be easily accessable outdoors in compliance with Covid rules or work which can be enjoyed online by our audiences in the safety of their own homes.
- Something that is suitable for all ages
- Something that is fun and brings about positive social change in our community
- A project that is achievable to develop in a 4 week time frame.
- Something for you to enjoy!
We know that Bulwell is full of wonderful people with lots of creative vision and we also believe that young people have a great power to uplift our community.
While we encourage you to come up with your own vision we thought we would share a few creative ideas to help get you started… You could either;
- Create your very own Art installation inspired by the schools project to be placed within your community during Arts week
- Create a virtual exhibition of what creative arts mean to Young People
- Document the Primary School ‘Krewe of Schools’ Journey either by a photography or video project to share online or as an exhibition
- Create a short film to promote young people’s development through the Arts in Bulwell
Through the commission we will:
- Award two £375 bursaries to young people aged 16-21 between now and July 2021
- Give young people the opportunity to reflect on how Arts help communities and apply your creative skills to make positive change in your community
- Offer 1 full day support for each candidate from the Bulwell Arts Festival co ordinator to help develop your project and help you to fulfill your ideas from start to the completion date
- A chance to uplift you with some real – world opportunities, by working on a real project for your community
- Link you up with Professional Artists / Organisations
The Application Process
The application window will open on 18th May and close on 28th May.
We are offering 2 commissions in total. We welcome applications from anyone aged 16-21 years old living or working in Bulwell. Each individual will receive a bursary of £250 for expenses and £125 for materials, £375 in total.
The successful individuals will be selected by BAF Team.
To apply please complete the form below. If you do need help with the application please get support from a parent, care giver, teacher and/or another adult you may be working with. Alternatively, if you would rather send in a video application, please email Nicola@bulwellartsfestival.co.uk or call 07906638349.
If you are under 18, please get permission from your parent/care giver before you send in an application.
Make sure you read our Brief before applying.
We are really excited and look forward to meeting you all.
Your Data matters – Any personal data or attachments given above will not be shared publicly and only used for the purpose of this application. All data will be erased after the project is completed.